High school juniors in good academic standing can get more information on becoming the 2018-2019 Student Member of the Board of Education (SMOB) of Anne Arundel County during an Information Night scheduled for 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, February 7, 2018.
Anne Arundel County’s student member on the Board of Education is the only one in the nation on a local board who has full voting rights. The nomination process for the 2018-2019 seat opens on February 7 and ends at 4 p.m. on March 1. Nomination forms must be submitted by 4 p.m. on March 1.
The following are other key dates in the process:
- February 14: Campaign Clinic focusing on platform development, 6:30 p.m.
- February 28: Campaign Clinic focusing on campaign strategy, 6:30 p.m.
- March 1: Nomination period closes at 4 p.m. All nomination forms must be submitted to the AACPS Office of Student Leadership by this time.
- March 5: Application packets due to the Office of Student Leaderhsip by 4 p.m.
- March 21: Applicant interviews; selection of three finalists
- March 28: Finalists debate, 6:30 p.m.
- April 19: Election of Student Member of the Board
The candidate elected by the Chesapeake Regional Association of Student Councils will have his or her name forwarded to Governor Larry Hogan, who must make the appointment.
All meetings except the April 19 election will be held at the Parham Building, located at 2644 Riva Road in Annapolis.
For SMOB application materials, click here.