The Board of Education of Anne Arundel County is scheduled to vote on the 2018-2019 school year calendar at its next meeting, scheduled for November 1, 2017.
The calendar recommended by the school system’s Calendar Committee was presented to the Board on October 18 and has been posted online at www.aapcs.org for the public to view since that time. The revised version the Board will discuss at Wednesday’s meeting alters the dates of two parent-teacher conference days.
The calendar calls for classes to begin on Tuesday, September 4, 2018, and end on Friday, June 14, 2019. It maintains adjustments made in the 2017-2018 school year that reduced Easter/Spring Break to three days. It also requires opening of schools on three additional days to compensate for:
- The fact that Yom Kippur falls on a weekday (Wednesday, September 19, 2018; it fell on the weekend in the current school year)
- Election Day, which falls on November 6, 2018
- The fact that June 15, 2019, is a Saturday, meaning schools must close no later than June 14, 2019
To compensate for these three days, the calendar calls for:
- Elimination of the second marking period Parent-Teacher Conference, leaving conferences in the first and third marking periods
- Opening schools for students on the day of the Maryland State Education Association convention (October 19, 2018)
- Reducing the number of inclement weather days from three to two, and designating the third inclement weather day as the day following Easter (requires MSDE waiver if needed)
The Board previously discussed the calendar at its October 18, 2017, meeting. Several changes to the draft calendar have been made in light of that discussion.
The meeting will be held in the Board Room at the Parham Building, 2644 Riva Road, Annapolis. The Board will meet at 8:30 a.m. to vote to go into closed session, during which time it will discuss confidential matters as permitted by the Maryland Open Meetings Act including, but not limited to, legal advice, personnel, and negotiations. Closed session is not open to the public. The general session of the meeting, which is open to the public, will begin at 10:00 a.m.
Also at Wednesday’s meeting, the Board is scheduled to vote on an official position regarding the proposed Baltimore-Washington Superconducting MAGLEV project routes. The statement was introduced at the October 18 Board meeting and can be reviewed here.
A complete agenda for the meeting accompanies this news release. More information on agenda items will be posted on the AACPS website in the Board Docs section under the Board of Education tab.
The general session of Wednesday’s Board meeting will be broadcast live on AACPS-TV, which can be found on Channel 96 on Comcast and Broadstripe, and Channel 36 on Verizon. High definition broadcasts can be seen on Channel 996 on Comcast, Channel 496 on Broadstripe, and Channel 1961 on Verizon. Rebroadcasts are scheduled for 7:00 p.m. the day after the meeting and 2:00 p.m. on subsequent Sundays.
The meeting can also be viewed live on the Internet here.
Archived videos of Board meetings are also posted online.