Educators from three elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school make up the field of five finalists announced today for the 2015 Anne Arundel County Public Schools Teacher of the Year. The educators will be among 50 to be honored at the 29th annual Excellence in Education banquet at the BWI Marriott in Linthicum on April 10, 2015.
The public school finalists, selected from a field of 10 semifinalists, are:
- Meredith Claborn, a kindergarten teacher at Broadneck Elementary School
- Iris Crankfield, an English teacher at South River High School
- Kristen Duffy, a first-grade teacher at Bodkin Elementary School
- Christine McCallister, a science teacher at Meade Middle School
- Jennie Merrill, a fifth-grade teacher at Severna Park Elementary School
In addition to the public school finalists, the following educators are finalists for the 2015 Independent Schools Teacher of the Year:
- Catherine Klase-Markey, a social science teacher at Archbishop Spalding High School
- Virginia Ready, a science teacher at St. Martin’s-in-the-Field Episcopal School
The banquet is presented annually in partnership by Anne Arundel County Public Schools and the Annapolis & Anne Arundel County Chamber of Commerce. In addition to outstanding teachers, the banquet also will honor local business and community partners that have forged critical partnerships with schools across the county, directly benefitting AACPS’ nearly 80,000 students.
Superintendent George Arlotto was joined by Board Members and chamber officials as they surprised the finalists this morning by visiting classrooms with bouquets of flowers.
The finalists will be interviewed by a panel made up of educators, administrators, students, and business leaders. The Public Schools Teacher of the Year will represent Anne Arundel County at the state Teacher of the Year competition later this year.
Tickets for the event are $55 each. For sponsorship information and ticket orders, visit www.aaaccc.org. For other information, please call 410-266-3960.