The Anne Arundel County Public Schools Calendar Committee is scheduled to begin meeting later this month to finalize recommendations for Superintendent George Arlotto to consider with regard to the 2015-2016 school year calendar. A tentative calendar has been approved by the Board, with final approval set for later this year. As it gets set to begin its work, the committee is seeking public input on the tentative calendar. As currently constructed, the 2015-2016 calendar:
- Sets August 24, 2015, as the first day for students, and June 15, 2016, as the last day for students
- Builds in five days (increased from four last year) for inclement weather closings, with the following stipulations:
- The days would be subtracted from the end of the school year if not needed for emergency closings
- If six to nine makeup days are needed, they will be taken from Easter/Spring break in the order listed in the calendar.
- Maintains the traditional Thanksgiving and Christmas/Winter breaks.
The committee is made of up AACPS employees, students, and representatives of employee bargaining units and parent groups. The complete calendar as currently constructed and a link to provide comments through Friday, October 10, 2014, can be found here.