The Board of Education tonight gave approval to Superintendent George Arlotto’s $163.4 million FY2016 capital budget, allowing the plan to be submitted to the State of Maryland in time for that funding cycle to begin.
The Board made no alterations to Dr. Arlotto’s proposal. The plan requests funding for comprehensive renovation projects at nine schools and continues funding for prekindergarten and kindergarten additions as well as open space classroom enclosures.
The request was approved by a 7-0 vote. Board Vice President Patricia Nalley was absent.
The request allocates nearly $101 million to the following renovation projects, in priority order:
- Rolling Knolls Elementary replacement, $15.0 million
- Benfield Elementary revitalization, $14.6 million
- West Annapolis Elementary modernization, $9.7 million
- Severna Park High replacement, $48.5 million
- Manor View Elementary design, $2.4 million
- High Point Elementary design, $3.0 million
- George Cromwell Elementary design, $2.0 million
- Jessup Elementary design, $2.7 million
- Arnold Elementary design, $2.6 million
In addition, the request includes $11 million for prekindergarten and kindergarten additions at Eastport and Georgetown East elementary schools and the West Meade Early Education Center; $6 million for gymnasium additions at Woodside and Millersville elementary schools; and $5 million for open space classroom enclosures at Glen Burnie High School.
The plan will also be part of the school system’s overall FY2016 budget request, to be forwarded to the County Executive in February 2015 after the Board holds public hearings. The County Council will review that plan and adopt a final capital budget for the school system in June 2015.
The complete plan can be found here .